Sandown Chiropractic & Largs Chiropractic
When you supply your personal details to this clinic they are stored and processed for 4 reasons (the bits in bold are the relevant terms used in the General Data Protection Regulation – ie the law):
- We need to collect personal information about your health in order to provide you with the best possible treatment. You requesting treatment and our agreement to provide that care constitutes a contract. You can, of course, refuse to provide the information, but if you were to do that we would not be able to provide treatment.
- We have a ‘Legitimate Interest’ in collecting that information, because without it we could not do our job effectively and safely.
- We also think that it is important that we can contact you in order to confirm your appointments with us or to update you on matters related to your care. This again constitutes ‘Legitimate Interest’, but this time it is your legitimate interest.
- Provided we have your consent, we may occasionally send you general health information in the form of articles, advice or newsletters. You may withdraw this consent at any time – just let us know by any convenient method.
We have a legal obligation to retain your records for 8 years after your most recent appointment (or age 25, if this is longer), but after this period you can ask us to delete your records if you wish.
- How we use your personal information
This notice tells you why our clinic collects information about you and/or your child and how this information may be used. The healthcare professionals who provide your care, maintain records about your health and any treatment or care you have received here or previously. These records help provide you with the best possible healthcare. Our records are on paper and electronic, we use a combination of working practices and technology to ensure your information is kept confidential and secure. Records that this clinic holds about you may include the following information:
- Details about you, such as your address, contact details, previous medical history and previous investigations
- Any contact the clinic has had with you, such as appointments, clinic visits, advice given over the phone or email, emergency appointments etc.
- Notes about your and/or your child’s health
- Details about your and/or your child’s treatment and care
- Relevant information from other health care professionals
- How we maintain the confidentiality of your records
- We are committed to protecting your privacy and will only use information collected lawfully in accordance with:
- General Data Protection Rules 2018
- Human Rights Act 1998
- Common Law Duty of Confidentiality
- General Chiropractic Council Code of Conduct
- Every member of staff who works at Sandown Chiropractic & Largs Chiropractic has a legal obligation to keep information about you confidential.
- Your records are stored on paper, in locked filing cabinets/rooms, and the offices are always locked/alarmed out of working hours. Some details are stored electronically on our office computers - these are password-protected.
- Who we share your information with
- We only ever pass on information about you to others, if there is a genuine need for it and you have given your consent. This may be your GP, dentist or other health care professionals, a solicitor or for court proceedings.
- We will not disclose any information about you to any third party without your written permission or in case of a child’s information the parental consent, unless there are exceptional circumstances (i.e. life or death situations), where the law requires information to be passed on.
- Access to your personal information
- You have a right under the General Data Protection Rules 2018 to request access to view or obtain copies of what information we hold about you and to have it amended should it be factually inaccurate. In order to request this you need to do the following:
- Your request must be made in writing to the clinic
- We are required to respond to you within 40 days
- You will need to give us proof of name (Photo ID) so that your identity can be verified
- Should you have any concerns about how your information is managed at the clinic, please contact the clinic owner (Michael Boles) in the first instance. If you are not satisfied with our response, you have the right to raise the matter with the Information Commissioner’s Office.
- Change of details
- It is important that you tell the person treating you if any of your details such as your name or address have changed or if any of your details such as date of birth is incorrect in order for us to correct it.
- Notification & Data Controller
- Michael Boles is registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office as the Data Controller for Sandown Chiropractic Clinic & Largs Chiropractic Clinic.